Student Organizations and Clubs
UNCG has a very large number of clubs and organizations that are open to all UNCG students, from clubs organized around a shared interest to social clubs to political and advocacy groups. Information on all UNCG clubs can be found at the UNCG Campus Activities and Programs web site.
The following clubs are sponsored by the Department of Computer Science and are generally of interest to Computer Science students.
Association for Computing Machinery – ACM
ACM is widely recognized as the premier membership organization for computing professionals, delivering resources that advance computing as a science and a profession; enable professional development; and promote policies and research that benefit society. The purpose of the UNCG chapter is to promote an increased knowledge in computing and its applications, and to promote a means of communication between persons having interest in computing.
STARS Computing Corps
The mission of the STARS (Students & Technology in Academia, Research & Service) Alliance is to increase the participation of women, under-represented minorities, and persons with disabilities in computing disciplines through multi-faceted interventions. The interventions focus on the influx and progression of students from middle school through graduate school in programs that lead to computing careers. The Alliance is organized as a national constellation of regional stars that include research universities, minority and women’s universities and colleges, K-12 educators, industry, professional organizations, and community groups. Stars implement “best practices” interventions with an integrated focus to:
- Recruit and retain under-represented populations in post-secondary computing programs and increase awareness of computing disciplines and careers.
- Bridge student readiness for computing and increase the number of undergraduates who enter computing graduate school or the workforce.
- Advance assistant professors by increasing faculty peer and mentor support for research, teaching, and managing service.
- Sustain and institutionalize effective BPC practices at alliance institutions.
- Disseminate and increase national awareness of effective BPC practices.
Cyber Security Club
The Cyber Security Club is a group of students that work towards better understanding the principles of cyber security and practice skills that will help them in their personal lives as well as in the job market.