Doctor of Philosophy
Application and Admission
PhD applications are accepted for Fall admission with the following deadlines:
- Feb 1st (To be considered for acceptance with financial aid)
- June 15th (No guarantee of financial aid)
Students must have a previous degree in computer science (B.S. or M.S. degree), or a closely-related field such as computer engineering or software engineering. Students looking to enter computer science without a prior degree are encouraged to apply to the M.S. program.
Applications are competitive, and applicants are expected to have a strong quantitative/mathematical background, a good overall GPA (at least 3.0), and strong GRE scores (while there is no minimum score requirement, successful applicants are expected to score in at least the 75th percentile for the quantitative section of the GRE).
Documents to be submitted for admission (listing)
- Official transcripts for all post secondary education, showing completion of a prior degree (B.S. or M.S.) in computer science or a closely-related field
- Standardized test reports: GRE scores for all students, and TOEFL/IELTS for non-native English speakers
- An essay (“statement of purpose”) describing their goals in pursuing a Ph.D. in computer science, including description of specific interests or a faculty member that the applicant is interested in working with (1-2 pages)
- A curriculum vita describing prior research or work experience (if any)
- Three letters of recommendation